Black Bean Cakes with Queso Fresco
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 35 minutes; Total time: 40 minutes.
Cilantro, onion, and garlic perk up these earthy bean cakes; feel free to throw in a minced fresh jalapeño if you like your black beans on the fiery side.
More From Health
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 13g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 562mg
- Calcium: 151mg
- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco (pasteurized)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup salsa fresca
- Minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place beans in a large bowl; mash lightly with a fork. Add eggs and cheese; whisk with fork until combined.
- 2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft and golden (2-3 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro; remove from heat.
- 3. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper (taking into account how well-seasoned your beans were initially) into bowl with beans. Add onion mixture; stir with fork just until combined. (The consistency should be like thick cookie dough. If not, add a bit of flour).
- 4. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and set aside. Using a large spoon or your hands, form bean mixture into 8 cakes; place onto prepared pan. Bake until golden and crisp (about 30 minutes); serve hot or at room temperature with salsa and cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note