- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco (pasteurized)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup salsa fresca
- Minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- calories 344
- fat 11 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 6 g
- polyfat 2 g
- protein 19 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 13 g
- cholesterol 111 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 562 mg
- calcium 151 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Place beans in a large bowl; mash lightly with a fork. Add eggs and cheese; whisk with fork until combined.
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft and golden (2-3 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro; remove from heat.
Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper (taking into account how well-seasoned your beans were initially) into bowl with beans. Add onion mixture; stir with fork just until combined. (The consistency should be like thick cookie dough. If not, add a bit of flour).
Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and set aside. Using a large spoon or your hands, form bean mixture into 8 cakes; place onto prepared pan. Bake until golden and crisp (about 30 minutes); serve hot or at room temperature with salsa and cilantro, if desired.