These were really tasty. I served them over salad and my family loved them. My son ate any leftovers he could scrape off. The chipotle cream is very good too. My men didn't eat the cream; they don't appreciate the heat like I do. I will definitely make this again.
Black Bean Cakes With Chipotle Cream
For a quick dinner option, freeze black bean cakes up to 3 weeks in advance; then prepare Chipotle Cream just before serving.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 23.4g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 440mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Chipotle Cream
- Sauté first 4 ingredients in 2 teaspoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Mash 1 1/2 cups black beans in a large bowl. Stir in remaining black beans, red bell pepper mixture, cumin, and next 3 ingredients. Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, cilantro, mayonnaise, and egg, stirring until well blended.
- Shape black bean mixture into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Place patties on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and chill 1 hour. Lightly dredge chilled patties in remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Cook 4 patties in 2 teaspoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side or until brown. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 patties and 2 teaspoons oil. Serve with Chipotle Cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note