- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- Avocado-Corn Salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 6 tostada shells
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Sauté onion in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat.
Prepare Avocado-Corn Salsa; chill until ready to serve.
Mash together taco seasoning and 2 cups black beans in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in panko, next 2 ingredients, onion mixture, 1 cup pepper Jack cheese, and remaining black beans until well blended. Shape mixture into 6 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
Cook patties in remaining 3 Tbsp. hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Preheat oven to 400°. Place tostadas on a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; top with Cheddar and remaining pepper Jack cheese. Bake until cheese melts. Top with black bean cakes and salsa.