I have made these too many times to count. Sometimes I use different cheese; whatever I have left over. I use canned jalapenos and leave half without for the kids. NO CILANTRO for us. And I use one large egg. (Never know what to do with the two remaining yolks.) I haven't made the mango salsa yet. Serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, on a bun or not. Always well received.
Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa
Category finalist: Family Dinners.
"I try to cook vegetarian as much as possible. My then-16-month-old daughter loved black beans, so I decided to make black bean burgers. My now-2-year-old loves them! I like a sweet bite with savory dishes, so I added mango to an avocado salsa to top the burgers." –Marina Delio, Santa Barbara, Calif.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Carbohydrate: 46.2g
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 777mg
- Calcium: 201mg
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 medium jalapeÃ±o pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups chopped peeled mango (about 1 medium)
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 (2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place black beans in a medium bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro and the next 7 ingredients (through egg whites). Shape bean mixture into 6 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Arrange patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, carefully turning once.
- 3. Combine remaining 1/4 cup cilantro, mango, and the next 4 ingredients (through minced garlic) in a medium bowl. Place a patty on bottom half of each hamburger bun; top each with 1 lettuce leaf, 1/3 cup salsa, and top half of bun.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note