We served this soup at our Cuban dinner party & it was very well received. Great flavors & the added rock shrimp escabeche was the perfect touch.
Black Bean Bisque with Rock Shrimp Escabèche
Photo: Ray Kachatorian; Styling: Heather Chadduck
- 1/2 pound smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Rock Shrimp Escabèche
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan; drain bacon on paper towels, and reserve for another use. Add onion, celery, and carrot, and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add 2 1/2 quarts water, black beans, and next 4 ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook at a brisk simmer, skimming any foam, 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add salt and vinegar during last 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cream. Puree using an immersion blender. Top each serving with a spoonful of Rock Shrimp Escabèche.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews