Good! I modified, used chili pepper paste (didn't have bell peppers) and leftover rotisserie chicken, and Jiffy corn muffin mix. It came out really well and was a fun easy to use up the leftover chicken. I served it with green salad. I didn't need the full 25 minutes though it was ready in about 20.
Black Bean-and-Chicken Cornbread Casserole
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 (15.5-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes with zesty green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Brown chicken in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain. Stir in beans, tomatoes, cilantro, and salt.
- 2. Pour chicken mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir together buttermilk and cornmeal mix, and spoon over cheese; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This