Black Bean-and-Brown Rice Pitas
Prep. 15 min., Cook 40 min. You can substitute leftover brown or white rice in these hearty sandwiches.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chiles
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Fresh Salsa
- 3 pita bread rounds, halved
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream
- Fresh Salsa
- 1. Bring 2/3 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Cool.
- 2. Combine rice, black beans, green chiles, and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; gently toss. Cover and chill, if desired.
- 3. Line each pita half with lettuce. Spoon rice mixture evenly into each half. Top with plain yogurt and additional Fresh Salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note