Black-and-White Coconut Rice Pudding
- BLACK RICE PUDDING:
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- JASMINE RICE PUDDING:
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely diced fresh pineapple, preferably golden
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1. MAKE THE BLACK RICE PUDDING: In a medium saucepan, combine the black rice and water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the rice is almost tender, about 40 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and pudding-like, about 12 minutes. Stir in the sugar and vanilla and let cool to room temperature.
- 2. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE JASMINE RICE PUDDING: In a medium saucepan, combine the jasmine rice and water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Add 1 cup of the coconut milk and the sugar and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is thickened, about 1 hour. Stir in the diced pineapple, nutmeg and the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut milk and let the jasmine rice pudding cool to room temperature.
- 3. Layer the puddings in 4 glasses, alternating 3 layers of jasmine rice with 2 layers of black rice. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Make Ahead: The layered puddings can be refrigerated overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes or longer before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note