These cookies were fabulous if you are looking for an authentic black and white cookie. The almond flavoring was not overpowering and blended Nicole with the chocolate flavor. I would make these again for sure!
Black-and-White Cake Cookies
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 21.4g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare cookies, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place applesauce in a fine sieve; let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine drained applesauce, granulated sugar, and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Beat in vanilla and egg whites. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed until blended.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until set (not browned). Cool on pans 2 minutes or until firm. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare frosting, combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and almond extract in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk until smooth. Working with 1 cookie at a time, hold cookie over bowl and spread about 1 teaspoon white frosting over half of cookie (scrape excess frosting from edges). Let stand 10 minutes or until frosting is set.
- Combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Gradually add 2 tablespoons milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Working with 1 cookie at a time, hold cookie over bowl and spread about 1 teaspoon chocolate frosting over other half of cookie (scrape excess frosting from edges). Let stand 10 minutes or until frosting is set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This