More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 73
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 0.9g
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 9.1g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 44mg
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, brandy, and anise seeds. Stir or beat in flour and baking powder until well blended.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Flatten each portion with your hands into a 1-inch-thick round. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap airtight and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Unwrap dough. On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll dough, a portion at a time, to 1/8 inch thick.
- 4. With floured cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes (if dough becomes too soft to handle, freeze briefly until firm again).
- 5. With a wide spatula or your fingers, transfer cookies to buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Gather scraps, pat into a ball, and repeat rolling and cutting. In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over cutouts on sheets.
- 6. Bake cookies in a 300° oven until golden, about 15 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- 7. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release, let stand on sheets to firm up, about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts