More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 40
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 4.3g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 18mg
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- about 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) lard
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup medium-dry sherry, brandy, or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice or ground cinnamon
- 1. Mix 3 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 2. In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat lard, 2/3 cup sugar, and anise seed until fluffy.
- 3. Beat in egg until blended.
- 4. On medium speed, mix in sherry.
- 5. Add dry ingredients. Stir to combine, then beat until well blended.
- 6. On a plate, mix remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and Chinese five spice.
- 7. Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a ball. On a well-floured board, roll dough, a portion at a time, 1/4 inch thick. With a flour-dusted cookie cutter (plain or a simple design, about 1 1/2 in. wide), cut dough into shapes.
- 8. One at a time, dip top of each cookie in spiced sugar, pressing lightly so sugar sticks. Set cookies, sugar side up, about 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Gather dough scraps into a ball, roll out, and cut more cookies.
- 9. Bake cookies in a 325° oven until bottoms are golden, about 10 minutes (if using 1 oven, switch pan positions after 5 min.). Transfer to racks to cool. Serve, or let cool and package airtight.
- Nutritional analysis per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts