this was soooooo delicious! and super easy thanks to my kitchen-aid! Still can't believe it was so low in calories. will make again and again!
Bittersweet Chocolate Soufflés
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
These chocolaty soufflés, which are airy and elegant, garnered out test kitchens' highest rating.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 206
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 34.1g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 75mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 8 (4-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt in a small saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until thick (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 3 minutes. Gradually stir in vanilla and egg yolks. Spoon chocolate mixture into a large bowl; cool.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cream of tartar, beating mixture until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture and the chopped chocolate. Spoon into prepared ramekins.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until puffy and set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bittersweet Chocolate Soufflés Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, New American, French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Sodium, Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light