We have been trying to eat healthier. I wanted something sweet. I came across these & they sounded so good! I thought I had some bittersweet chocolate in my pantry so I started making them just to find out it was unsweetened & I only had one square... So I took out my hand grater and grated it into the egg whites. They came out so good! I was worried about the flavor with the chocolate being unsweetened. It didn't make a difference at all. My 9 year old nephew LOVED them. His brother was here the next day & he tried them. He asked if we could make more when these are gone! LOL
Bittersweet Chocolate Meringues
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 54
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 10.7g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 39mg
- Calcium: 2mg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 225°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat for 1 minute at high speed or until mixture is shiny. Gently fold in chocolate.
- Spoon mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Snip a 1/4-inch hole in 1 bottom corner of bag. Pipe 24 (4-inch-long) zigzag shapes onto each prepared pan.
- Bake at 225° for 30 minutes with 1 pan on bottom rack and 1 pan on second rack from top. Rotate pans; bake an additional 30 minutes or until dry to the touch. Cool on pans 30 minutes on wire racks. Carefully remove meringues from paper; cool completely on wire racks.
- Note: Store meringues in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bittersweet Chocolate Meringues Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cookies, Desserts
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, 5 Ingredients or Less
- CUISINE: French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Gluten-Free, Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Saturated Fat, Low Sodium
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Cookies