Bitter Greens with Blood Oranges and Hazelnuts
Prep: 15 minutes; other: 3 minutes
A blood orange tastes like it has been kissed by a raspberry--tart and sweet. Its ruby red-streaked flesh adds vibrant, dramatic color to this salad. Quickly toast the hazelnuts for this recipe in a skillet over medium-high heat. The toasted nuts and spicy, slightly bitter greens lend the perfect balance of flavors to this beautiful salad.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 161
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21.1g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 172mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 3 medium blood oranges or navel oranges (2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups baby arugula or spinach
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 2 1/2 cups torn radicchio (about 1/2 head)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped skinless hazelnuts, toasted
- 1. Peel and section oranges over a bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Set sections aside; reserve 1/3 cup juice. Discard membranes.
- 2. Combine reserved 1/3 cup juice, shallot, and next 6 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- 3. Combine arugula, spring mix greens, and radicchio in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Divide salad evenly among plates; top with orange sections, and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This