Bitter Greens Salad with Sourdough Croutons and Warm Tomato Vinaigrette
Bake the croutons a day or two in advance; store at room temperature in a zip-top plastic bag. Make and refrigerate the vinaigrette a day ahead; reheat gently over low heat before tossing with the greens.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 382mg
- Calcium: 138mg
- 8 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 cups trimmed arugula
- 3 cups thinly sliced radicchio
- 3 cups thinly sliced escarole
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded plum tomato
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remaining ingredient:
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare croutons, arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet. Lightly coat bread cubes with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with lemon pepper and garlic powder; toss to coat. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring once.
- To prepare salad, combine arugula, radicchio, and escarole in a large bowl.
- To prepare vinaigrette, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes or until warm. Drizzle warm vinaigrette over salad; toss gently to coat. Place 1 cup salad on each of 9 salad plates; top each serving with about 2 1/2 teaspoons cheese. Divide croutons evenly among salads.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note