Bistro-Style Chicken with Wild Mushrooms and Madeira
Succulent roast chicken, a classic dish served at virtually every bistro in Paris, lured David Rosengarten away from a potential career in the theater. This version pairs juicy chicken thighs with earthy mushrooms. Look in the produce aisle for packages of "gourmet blend" mushrooms, or use any combination of cremini, shiitake, oyster, and button mushrooms.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 526
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 16.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 41.4g
- Carbohydrate: 44.1g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 160mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 615mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds red potatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, oyster, and button
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and grated nutmeg. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake chicken, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over; bake, uncovered, an additional 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken to a serving platter, reserving 1 tablespoon of pan drippings. Keep chicken warm.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add milk, 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Heat reserved pan drippings in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Drizzle gravy over chicken; sprinkle with parsley. Serve with potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This