Bistro Onion Soup
Topped with French bread and gruyere cheese, this classic onion soup will soon become a family favorite. Be sure to make extra because they're bound to ask for seconds.
Yield: 6 cups
- 4 large onions (about 2 pounds), sliced
- 1/4 cup butter or margerine, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 (1/2") diagonally sliced French bread slices, toasted
- 8 slices Gruyere cheese
- Sauté onions in butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat 15 minutes or until golden, stirring often. Stir in flour; cook one minute. Add water and next 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into 4 individual oven-proof soup bowls. Place on a baking sheet. Add 2 bread slices to each bowl and cover with 2 slices cheese. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note