I made the recipe exactly as written and found that the taste of the curry powder wrecks the recipe. Bistro implies French, and all the other ingredients conform to that cuisine. Neither my husband nor I liked the taste of the sauce; we tossed the recipe after dinner.
Bistro Chicken and Peppers
The garlic rub enhances the browning and adds flavor.
Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1/2 cup pepper mixture, and 1 cup potatoes)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 411
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 45g
- Carbohydrate: 42.7g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 1074mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups prepared packaged mashed potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 20 minutes. Peel and cut into (1/2-inch) strips; set aside.
- Combine salt and garlic on a cutting board; chop until mixture becomes a coarse paste. Rub garlic mixture over chicken. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until golden, turning once. Add shallots; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add broth, curry, thyme, and fennel. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add peppers; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Warm the mashed potatoes according to package directions. Serve potatoes with chicken and pepper mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note