Not too impressed, but it could be very good with some work.
Bistro Braised Chicken
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Tiffany Vickers
This chicken recipe elevates the weeknight staple to a new level of decadence. Make it tonight for a flavorful dish that's guaranteed to please.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup egg noodles, 2 chicken thighs, and about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 483
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 36.9g
- Carbohydrate: 57.3g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 189mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 765mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 8 (4-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 8 pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, browning on both sides. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- 2. Add remaining 2 teaspoons butter to pan; swirl until butter melts. Add carrot, onion, celery, and dried plums; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring frequently. Stir in thyme and sage; cook 30 seconds. Stir in mustard. Add broth and 3/4 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a simmer.
- 3. Return chicken to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 35 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until sauce is reduced by half (about 10 minutes). Stir in salt and pepper. Serve over noodles.
- Wine note: This simple dinner deserves a tasty, affordable wine. Astica Chardonnay 2008 ($6), from Argentina, is made without the use of oak, making it a nice, fruity match for the dried plums in this stew. --Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This