Ground bison, a leaner and more flavorful choice than beef, updates the classic nacho recipe, and it's becoming widely available at well-stocked grocery stores.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 843
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 55g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 50g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Sodium: 1081mg
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground bison or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup fresh salsa verde, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large frying pan, heat oil over high heat. Cook onion, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add bison and cook, stirring well to break up meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Season with pepper.
- 2. Meanwhile, lay half the tortilla chips evenly in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Spread half of bison mixture over chips. Pour 1/3 cup salsa over the meat, followed by half the cheese. Repeat layers with 1/3 cup more salsa and remaining meat and cheese. Bake until cheese melts and chips start to brown, about 6 minutes.
- 3. Serve nachos with lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, remaining 1/3 cup salsa, and the sour cream.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note