- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk; stir well, and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt; stir well. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 3/4 cup flour mixture for topping.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon, buttermilk mixture, and eggs to remaining flour mixture; stir well.
- Pour batter into a well-greased 9-inch square pan. Sprinkle reserved flour mixture over batter, and press into batter. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This