I have been looking for a really simple and good sausage & gravy recipe for a while. I substituted the 1% milk for skim milk and it still came out great!
Biscuits and Vegetarian Sausage Gravy
This Biscuits and Vegetarian Sausage Gravy recipe puts a surprising but delicious twist on a classic Southern breakfast. Vegetarian sausage has a firmer texture than pork sausage. Crumbling it helps distribute it evenly throughout the gravy. This quick breakfast has 3 grams of soy protein per serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 268
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Carbohydrate: 36.9g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 910mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 1 (16.3-ounce) can reduced-fat refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 (14-ounce) package meatless fat-free sausage (such as Lightlife Gimme Lean)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare biscuits according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Crumble sausage into 1/2-inch pieces; return to pan.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1% low-fat milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add milk mixture, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to pan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes or until thick. Split the biscuits in half. Place 2 biscuit halves on each of 8 plates; top each serving with about 1/3 cup gravy. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note