Mmmmmm delicious! I even messed up by adding the egg whites too soon, but a lot of Kitchen Aid magic seemed to help. I used all of the orange rind for another recipe after I had decided to make these, so I used lemon instead. They're veeeeery yummy and addictive. Definitely worth the time it takes to wait for them to be ready.
Biscotti with Lavender and Orange
Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 biscotto)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh lavender leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Beat the first 5 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Beat in egg whites. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating until blended. Stir in almonds.
- Turn biscotti dough out onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; with lightly floured hands, shape the dough into a 10-inch-long roll; flatten the roll to a 1-inch thickness. Bake the roll at 325° for 30 minutes. Remove the roll from the baking sheet, and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut roll diagonally into 14 (1/2-inch) slices using a serrated knife. Place the slices, upright, on baking sheet. Bake the slices at 325° for 15 minutes (the cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool).
- Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.
- Note: Store in an airtight container. To freeze up to 6 months, place biscotti in an airtight container.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Biscotti with Lavender and Orange Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: Italian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, Meatless
- OCCASION: Weddings, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts