Mmmmmm delicious! I even messed up by adding the egg whites too soon, but a lot of Kitchen Aid magic seemed to help. I used all of the orange rind for another recipe after I had decided to make these, so I used lemon instead. They're veeeeery yummy and addictive. Definitely worth the time it takes to wait for them to be ready.
Biscotti with Lavender and Orange
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh lavender leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Beat the first 5 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Beat in egg whites. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating until blended. Stir in almonds.
- Turn biscotti dough out onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; with lightly floured hands, shape the dough into a 10-inch-long roll; flatten the roll to a 1-inch thickness. Bake the roll at 325° for 30 minutes. Remove the roll from the baking sheet, and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut roll diagonally into 14 (1/2-inch) slices using a serrated knife. Place the slices, upright, on baking sheet. Bake the slices at 325° for 15 minutes (the cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool).
- Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.
- Note: Store in an airtight container. To freeze up to 6 months, place biscotti in an airtight container.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Biscotti with Lavender and Orange Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: Italian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, Meatless
- OCCASION: Weddings, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts