- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1 pound peeled, large raw shrimp (1 6/20 count)
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until flour is chocolate colored. (Do not burn mixture.)
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth; add chicken and next 2 ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
Note: We tested with Zatarain's Creole Seasoning and Savoie's Andouille Sausage.