- 6 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large onions, chopped
- 3 pounds carrots, scraped and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
How to Make It
Brown meat in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until tender. Stir in carrots, garlic, water, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
Add potatoes, tomato sauce, and beer; stir well. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.