If it's Korean food, why does the recipe call for a non-Korean chile paste? That's the most important part of the dish! If you want the authentic taste, buy gochujang - tastes so much better.
Bibimbop (Rice and Vegetable Medley)
Bibimbop is a popular Korean one-dish lunch of piping hot rice, an assortment of vegetables, often a small bit of meat, and always an egg on top. Koreans like this spicy, so they usually add at least 2 tablespoons chile paste per serving after cooking. It's customary to stir everything together before eating; omit that step to taste each element independently.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 374
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 23.8g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 238mg
- Iron: 6.9mg
- Sodium: 699mg
- Calcium: 138mg
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces eye of round or top round steak, thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (2-inch) julienne-cut carrot
- 1 cup (2-inch) julienne-cut English cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 cup Seasoned Spinach
- 4 teaspoons sambal oelek or Thai chile paste
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes. Heat a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; stir-fry 3 minutes or until done. Remove from pan. Cover and keep warm.
- Cook carrot in boiling water 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain and set aside.
- Combine cucumber and next 5 ingredients (cucumber through 1 garlic clove); set aside.
- Heat skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Break 1 egg into hot skillet. Cook egg 1 minute; carefully turn over. Sprinkle with dash of salt. Cook an additional minute or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan. Cover and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining eggs and salt.
- Spoon 3/4 cup rice into each of 4 bowls. Arrange 1/4 cup each of beef, carrot, cucumber mixture, mushrooms, and Seasoned Spinach over each serving. Top each serving with 1 egg and 1 teaspoon sambal oelek.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note