Very, very good. I serve as a side dish. I've even just used canned beans and bacon instead of ham hock, and it turns out great. I guess pintos don't mush up the way other canned beans do. My husband loves it as well. Makes great leftovers.
Best Pinto Beans
- 1 pound fresh pinto beans, sorted and rinsed*
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Dash of red hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add ham hock, tomatoes, broth, and next 10 ingredients to Dutch oven with beans; cook 55 minutes or until beans are tender. Serve over rice.
- *Dried pinto beans may be substituted for fresh.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes