best ever chicken fried steak
'The BEST Chicken Fried Steak' Source: Adapted from All Recipes Ingredients 4 beef cube steaks 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon black pepper 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 1 egg 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I used Tabasco) 3 cups vegetable shortening for deep frying Gravy Ingredients (If you're not using the packaged gravy) 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 4 cups milk kosher salt and ground black
Yield: 1 serving
Community Recipe from
- 1 dd
- 1 cc
- 1. Heat the shortening in a deep skillet.
- 2. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, and Tabasco Sauce.
- 3. Dredge each steak first in the FLOUR, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
- 4. Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain.
- Gravy Directions
- (If using the packaged gravy, prepare as directed)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the flour and milk over medium heat. Bring the gravy to a slow boil and cook until thick, about 6 to 7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Julie5999 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
best ever chicken fried steak Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes