- 5 tablespoons Cajun meat seasoning blend (for testing purposes, we used Chef Paul's Meat Magic Seasoning)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground savory
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground dried guajillo or pasilla chile pepper (1/2 pepper)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
How to Make It
Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Remove 1/4 cup mixture, and set aside. Add soy sauce to remaining seasoning, and stir well to form a paste. Place chicken pieces and bay leaves in a large bowl, and rub chicken evenly with paste. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill 6 to 8 hours.
Remove chicken from refrigerator about 1 1/2 hours before grilling so it reaches room temperature. Melt butter, and stir in reserved 1/4 cup seasoning mixture. Set aside.
Prepare a hot fire (400º to 450º) by piling charcoal on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. If using gas grill, light only one side. Place chicken pieces over cooler side, and grill, covered with grill lid, 25 minutes for breasts and 30 minutes for thighs and legs.
Transfer chicken to hot side, and grill, turning several times and basting with reserved butter mixture, until internal temperature reaches 175º, about 7 1/2 minutes per side for breasts, 3 1/2 minutes per side for thighs, and 2 1/2 minutes per side for legs. Remove from grill, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.