This is my second time making this cake. Last time I made cupcakes and they were delicious. I didn't use the buttermilk glaze last time but they were still a big hit. My husband asked for carrot cake for his birthday so I decided to make the 3 layer cake this time. They baked fine and I drizzled the glaze while they were still in the pan like the recipe says to. My question is, how are you supposed to get the layers out of the pan and end up with the glazed side on top when you cool them on the wire racks? I messed up the tops of all 3 layers in the process of taking them out of the pans. I did line the bottoms of the pans with waxed paper and it wasn't difficult to get them out, the glazed sides just stuck to the racks when I turned them out of the pans. I used a plate to turn one of them out and that was even worse. I'd really appreciate some tips so I won't have this problem next time...and there WILL be a next time. :)
Best Carrot Cake
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
Truly our best-ever carrot cake recipe, make this classic favorite for a crowd and you might not have any leftovers to bring home.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Buttermilk Glaze
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Line 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.
- Stir together first 4 ingredients.
- Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into prepared cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle Buttermilk Glaze evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Best Carrot Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits, Nuts
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Kwanzaa, Mother's Day, Rosh Hashanah, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Desserts