- 2 cups walnut halves
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, gills removed, roughly chopped
- 3 ounces chilled vegan butter, cubed
- 2 cups cooked freekeh, bulgur, brown rice, or other grain
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons grated red beet (grated using a Microplane grater)
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, grated using a Microplane grater
- 10 hamburger buns
- Hamburger toppings
How to Make It
Process walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Place ground walnuts in a bowl. Process portobellos in a food processor until chopped. Add butter; process just until combined. Add mushroom mixture, freekeh, oats, beet, mayonnaise, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic to ground walnuts; mix thoroughly to combine. Chill 1 hour.
Shape mixture into 10 (1/2-inch- thick) patties. Heat a grill pan over high. Coat with cooking spray. Cook patties until heated through and lightly charred, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan, and serve on buns with your favorite burger toppings.