Best Apple Pie
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 rolled out deep dish pie crusts
- 4 pound(s) granny smith apples peeled, cored and each cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg (or freshly grated nutmeg)
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 EGGWHITE (beaten with 1 tsp water)
- 2 teaspoon(s) granulated sugar
- Transfer 1 dough round to a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish and gently press into the dish. Trim the edges flush with the rim. Reroll the dough scraps and cut out shapes using decorative pie cutters. Refrigerate the pie shell, cutouts and remaining dough round for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the apples, in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stir together the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are just tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the cornstarch.
- Preheat an oven to 400°F.
- Let the pie shell, cutouts and dough round stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.. Pour the apple filling into the pie shell and place the top crust over the pie. Trim the edges flush with the rim and press the top and bottom crusts together. Brush the underside of the cutouts with egg wash and gently arrange them on the pie. Brush the entire top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 1 hour; check the pie after 30 minutes and cover the top and edges with foil if they become too dark. Let the pie cool on a wire rack for at least 2 1/2 hours before serving. Serve with warmed jarred caramel sauce if desired and serve alongside the pie for drizzling. Serves 8.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by SueDsd and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note