Bertha's Matzo Ball Soup
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) chicken, cut into quarters
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 turnip or parsley root, chopped
- 3 to 4 carrots, chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 1 fresh dill sprig
- Bertha's Matzo Balls
- 1. Bring chicken and 4 quarts cold water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove foam with a slotted spoon as it rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- 2. Add celery and next 6 ingredients. Tie parsley and dill sprigs together, and add to soup. Cover and simmer 2 more hours or until chicken is tender.
- 3. Remove chicken, and let cool. Skim fat. Remove chicken from bones, and return meat to soup. Add matzo balls, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews