Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 6 cups blackberries or other berries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Combine berries, sugar, and tapioca in a medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes or until tapioca softens. Spoon berry mixture into a buttered 11- x 7-inch baking dish, and dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until berries are hot.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut 1/2 cup butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly; add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gather dough into a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Pat or roll dough into an 11- x 7-inch rectangle.
- Carefully place pastry over hot berries. Brush top of pastry with whipping cream, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note