I like this & it is what I call "comfort food", a welcome taste when camping.
Berry Camping Cake
Time: 1 1/2 hours. Any berry or berry combination works in this cake, which has a dry, crumbly topping that combines with the berry juices for a rich, sweet treat. You'll need a 12-in. (6-qt.) camp Dutch oven (with feet). Pack the frozen berries in a cooler and make this on the first night of camping, before they thaw completely.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 466
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 4.7g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 79g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 537mg
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 50 ounces frozen strawberries (unsweetened) or other berries*
- 1. At home: In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and baking powder. Add butter; pulse until mixture is very fine. Add sugar and pulse to combine. Transfer to a large resealable bag and chill until ready to use, up to 2 days.
- 2. At campsite: Ignite 40 briquets on the firegrate of a clean charcoal grill or firepit and let burn until just covered with a fine layer of ash. Using tongs, arrange 20 coals into a 12-in. ring; push remaining coals aside.
- 3. Put strawberries in a 12-in. footed (camp) Dutch oven. Spoon half the flour mixture evenly over strawberries, cover pot, and set in the ring of coals. Arrange remaining 20 ash-covered coals in a single layer on top of Dutch oven lid.
- 4. Arrange another ring of 20 fresh, unlit coals around and touching the hot coals at the base of oven (these will ignite and provide a second burst of heat later).
- 5. Cook cake about 20 minutes (do not cover grill or firepit). With tongs, push coals away from lid handle, remove lid (keeping coals on top), and spoon on remaining flour mixture. Replace lid and top evenly with the second batch of newly ash-covered coals from around the pot.
- 6. Bake until topping is golden brown and strawberry juices are bubbling to the surface, 15 to 25 minutes more. Let cool at least 20 minutes before eating.
- *If using berries other than strawberries, mix with an extra 1/4 cup sugar when putting them in the Dutch oven.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note