- 1 (16-ounce) French bread loaf, cubed
- 1 cup frozen raspberries (do not thaw)
- 1 cup frozen blackberries (do not thaw)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vanilla Cream Sauce
- Garnishes: fresh raspberries, powdered sugar
How to Make It
Arrange half of bread pieces in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Arrange frozen berries in a single layer over bread. Top with remaining bread pieces.
Whisk eggs and next 6 ingredients until smooth. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread, pressing down with a wooden spoon until bread absorbs mixture. Let stand 20 minutes.
Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover, brush evenly with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar, and bake 30 more minutes or until set. Remove from oven, and let stand 30 minutes. Serve with Vanilla Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired.