This can be a light dessert - if you dish out the cream in moderation! Fabulous flavor and texture. Our family enjoys this treat regularly. We tried with other fruit (apples, melons) but the berries are hands down the best with this cream.
Berries With Tequila Cream
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
For a smokier flavor, use mezcal, which is similar to tequila, in this luscious, velvety cream.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup tequila or mezcal*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 cups assorted fresh berries (such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries)
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a 2-qt. heavy saucepan; whisk in tequila.
- 2. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats back of a spoon. (Do not boil.)
- 3. Fill a large bowl with ice. Place saucepan in ice. Let custard stand, stirring occasionally, until chilled (about 30 minutes).
- 4. Beat 1 cup heavy cream at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream gently into chilled tequila mixture just until blended.
- 5. Arrange assorted berries in 8 serving dishes, and top evenly with tequila cream. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
- *1/2 cup orange juice may be substituted.
- Note: To make ahead, cover and chill whipped cream and tequila mixture up to 24 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This