Berbere Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a small skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until toasted. Cool completely.
- Process spice mixture in a blender until finely ground. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 3 months.
Toasting spices brings out their flavors. Heat an 8-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the spices and stir until they begin to release their fragrance and are just toasted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a plate to cool, then grind in a spice grinder. Or do what I do—buy a cheap coffee grinder and dedicate it to grinding spices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note