Benne Seed Wafers
Buy sesame seeds at the health food store, where they're more reasonably priced.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Bake: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 cup sesame (benne) seeds
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook sesame seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in sesame seeds, egg, and vanilla.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; stir into butter mixture. Cover dough, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1/2-inch balls; place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten to a 1/16-inch thickness with floured fingers or a flat-bottomed glass.
- Bake at 325° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Tip: Pressing dough into a teaspoon measuring spoon creates about a 1/2-inch ball.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This