Bell's Sweet Potato Casserole
This golden baked favorite is sure to please your holiday guests. Make two recipes for a larger crowd. The recipe is from Willie Bell Witt, who worked for David's family for several generations and was like a second mother to many of them.
- 8 medium-size sweet potatoes (6 pounds)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10.5-ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- Bring sweet potatoes and water to cover to a boil, and cook 20 to 30 minutes or until tender; drain. Peel potatoes, and place in a mixing bowl.
- Heat milk and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves. (Do not boil.) Stir in orange juice, spices, and salt.
- Beat potatoes at medium speed with an electric mixer until mashed. Add milk mixture, beating until smooth. Spoon half of mashed sweet potatoes into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; top evenly with half of marshmallows. Spread remaining mashed potatoes over marshmallows.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Top with remaining half of marshmallows, and bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until marshmallows are golden.
- Beebe Roberts, Birmingham, Alabama
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note