This was good and makes a ton! Next time I'll half it. Wonderful for late summer veggies from the garden. Next time, I'll add some chicken and goat cheese for a one dish supper.
Bell Pepper, Tomato, Cucumber, and Grilled Bread Salad
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 19.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 237mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 4 (1-ounce) slices day-old country-style bread
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until golden brown with grill marks. Remove from grill; tear bread into 1-inch pieces.
- 3. Combine tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, basil, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add bread; toss gently.
- 4. Combine vinegar, black pepper, salt, and garlic in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 20 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note