- 4 (1-ounce) slices day-old country-style bread
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- calories 178
- fat 9.7 g
- satfat 1.3 g
- monofat 6.6 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 3.5 g
- carbohydrate 19.5 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 237 mg
- calcium 43 mg
How to Make It
Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until golden brown with grill marks. Remove from grill; tear bread into 1-inch pieces.
Combine tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, basil, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add bread; toss gently.
Combine vinegar, black pepper, salt, and garlic in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 20 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.