I have made this many times because it is quick and I often have the ingredients on hand. Using tips from reviewers that appeared in an earlier posting of this recipe, I add a few small onion wedges, which I sauté a bit first, then add some sliced mushrooms with the bell pepper strips. I also increase the orzo to 6 or 8 ounces. Unless your chicken breasts are of even thickness, I would suggest cutting the chicken into strips, or you could use chicken breast tenderloins.
Bell Pepper Chicken with Feta Orzo
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke
Most kids love bell peppers and pasta. Both are featured in this simple, fresh dish. Use only red bell peppers, or try any combination of red, yellow, orange, and green.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1/2 cup orzo mixture, and 1/3 cup bell pepper mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 404
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 46.8g
- Carbohydrate: 26.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 644mg
- Calcium: 143mg
- 4 ounces uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 1/2 cup)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup green bell pepper strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While orzo cooks, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Add chicken to pan, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and bell peppers to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add oregano and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice.
- Combine orzo and feta, and serve with chicken and bell pepper mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes