- 6 shallots (about 1 oz. each), peeled
- About 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Granny Smith or Newtown Pippin apples (1 lb. total), rinsed
- 1 pound white Belgian endive (see notes)
- 1 pound red Belgian endive or red radicchio (see notes)
- 2/3 pound Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- calories 225
- caloriesfromfat 72 %
- protein 7.4 g
- fat 18 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- carbohydrate 10 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- sodium 208 mg
- cholesterol 27 mg
How to Make It
In an 8- or 9-inch-wide pan, mix shallots with about 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bake in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, until shallots are slightly browned and barely tender when pierced, about 40 minutes (20 to 25 minutes in a convection oven). When cool enough to touch, finely chop.
In a wide bowl, mix shallots, 1/2 cup olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Peel apples, quarter, core, and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slivers. Add to bowl and mix with dressing.
Cut white and red Belgian endive lengthwise into 1/8-inch-wide slices. Add endive and cheese to bowl. Mix gently, and season salad to taste with salt and pepper.