Excellent and beautiful salad (much more attractive than the photo). Subbed torn whole-leaf spinach for baby and tossed only the apples & greens with the vinaigrette, reserved the spiced walnuts & cheese to top the individual salads.
Belgian Endive and Apple Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
Make vinaigrette, toast nuts, and prepare greens up to two days in advance. Substitute walnut or olive oil if hazelnut oil isn't available. To reduce prep time, you can use bagged Italian blend greens.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 205
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 36.8g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 158mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups torn radicchio
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 2 Fuji apples, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut lengthwise into strips
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine juice and cranberries in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, shallots, and garlic. Drizzle oil into pan, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir in salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cool vinaigrette to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare salad, combine walnuts and next 5 ingredients (through 1/8 teaspoon pepper); toss well. Spread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Combine radicchio and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette and walnuts; toss well.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note