Beignets- a French doughnut
- 1/2 cup(s) Shortening
- 1/2 cup(s) Sugar
- 2 package(s) yeast
- 6 1/2 cup(s) Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) evaporated milk
- 2 eggs well beaten
- Makes: 50 servings
- Cream together shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Add one cup boiling water and one cup milk. Set aside.
- Mix yeast well in 1/4 cup warm water. Add this and beaten eggs to the mixture and mix well.
- Add 3 1/2 cups flour and beat with spoon. Add another 3 cups of flour and mix. Put the dough in a greased covered container in the refrigerator.
- When ready to fry, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into 3 inch squares with a knife. Use knife to cut 1/2 inch slit in the middle of each square.
- Fry in deep fat about 360 degrees until golden brown on both sides. Powdered sugar may be sprinkled on top. Drain on paper towels.
- Dough may be kept in refrigerator for a few days.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by LeaBraun and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note