- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 to 3 quarts vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Combine yeast and 3 tablespoons warm water in a large bowl; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat (do not boil). Stir in sugar, shortening, and salt. Cool to lukewarm (100° to 110°).
- Add milk mixture, egg, and 2 cups flour to yeast mixture, stirring well. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll dough into a 12- x 10-inch rectangle; cut into 2-inch squares. Place on a floured surface; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry beignets, in batches, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with powdered sugar while still hot.
- Note: To make ahead, turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Punch dough down and follow directions above.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note