- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 to 3 quarts vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Combine yeast and 3 tablespoons warm water in a large bowl; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat (do not boil). Stir in sugar, shortening, and salt. Cool to lukewarm (100° to 110°).
- Add milk mixture, egg, and 2 cups flour to yeast mixture, stirring well. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll dough into a 12- x 10-inch rectangle; cut into 2-inch squares. Place on a floured surface; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry beignets, in batches, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with powdered sugar while still hot.
- Note: To make ahead, turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Punch dough down and follow directions above.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads