Beggar's Bundle Soup
Notes: Egg roll wrappers are available in Asian markets and most supermarkets. They may also be labeled pasta wrappers.
Yield: Makes 2 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sodium: 1043mg
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 pound sliced cooked ham
- About 7 green onions (including tops)
- 1/2 cup (1/2 of an 8-oz. can) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 4 egg roll wrappers (6 in. square)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Trim off and discard mushroom stems. Rinse caps, drain, and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- 2. Cut ham into thin slivers.
- 3. Trim off and discard root ends of green onions. Cut off 4 of the longest green spears from onion tops and set aside. Chop white parts of onions and enough of the remaining tops to make 1 cup. Discard remaining tops.
- 4. In a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat, combine mushrooms, ham, 1/2 cup chopped onions, water chestnuts, cabbage, and ginger. Stir often until mixture is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Spoon into a bowl.
- 5. Pour 1 cup water and enough of the broth into pan to make liquid 1 inch deep. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 6. Immerse reserved green onion tops in liquid just until wilted, 1/2 to 1 minute. Turn heat to low and set a rack in pan above liquid.
- 7. Spoon 1/4 of the mushroom mixture onto the center of each egg roll wrapper. Bring corners of wrapper together and tie with a green onion top to enclose filling.
- 8. Gently set bundles side by side on rack. Cover pan, turn heat to high, and steam until bundles are slightly translucent and egg roll wrappers are firm (cut a small piece from top to test), about 5 minutes.
- 9. With 2 large spoons, gently transfer 1 or 2 bundles to each of 2 soup bowls. Add remaining broth and green onions to pan, bring to a boil, then ladle into bowls. Sprinkle bundles with cilantro leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This