Love this salad. The combo of balsamic, roasted beets and blue cheese is one of my favorites.
Roasted Baby Beets and Blood Orange Salad with Blue Cheese
Photo: Kang Kim; Styling: Jason Gledhill
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.9g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 291mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 12 multicolored baby beets
- 4 medium blood oranges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) package mixed baby greens
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Leave root and 1 inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Cut an 18 x 12-inch sheet of foil. Place beets in center of foil. Gather edges of foil to form a pouch; tightly seal edges. Place pouch on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool 20 minutes. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into quarters.
- 3. Grate 1 teaspoon orange rind. Peel and section oranges over a large bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Set sections aside; reserve 3 tablespoons juice. Discard membranes. Combine rind, juice, vinegar, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 4. Divide greens evenly among 8 plates. Arrange beets and orange sections on top of greens. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons nuts. Drizzle each serving with about 2 teaspoons dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note