Love this salad. The combo of balsamic, roasted beets and blue cheese is one of my favorites.
Roasted Baby Beets and Blood Orange Salad with Blue Cheese
If blood oranges aren't available, substitute 3 large navel oranges.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.9g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 291mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 12 multicolored baby beets
- 4 medium blood oranges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) package mixed baby greens
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Leave root and 1 inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Cut an 18 x 12-inch sheet of foil. Place beets in center of foil. Gather edges of foil to form a pouch; tightly seal edges. Place pouch on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool 20 minutes. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into quarters.
- 3. Grate 1 teaspoon orange rind. Peel and section oranges over a large bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Set sections aside; reserve 3 tablespoons juice. Discard membranes. Combine rind, juice, vinegar, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 4. Divide greens evenly among 8 plates. Arrange beets and orange sections on top of greens. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons nuts. Drizzle each serving with about 2 teaspoons dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note